Thursday, February 18, 2010

Week Three: Presentations on Wardle: 2/18, 1301.18 (7:45)

Post your written versions here.

2 comments:

  1. Erika Salinas
    Dr. Chalaire
    Eng 1301. 18
    2/18/2010 2/23/2010
    Presentation Acts of revision by Wendy Bishop

    This article is written for students who want to be better revisers and improve their revisions. Eat like an owl is the introduction for acts of revision and basically it tells the students what the rest of the article be about. This introduction is imporatnt for students to read because it is explanatory and also it tells the student what type of writers they are.

    As i was reading i came across some words that were unfamiliar to me and thought i should define them.

    Forbearance- resisting, avoiding. To asses and experiment requires time and _____

    Tandem- group,crew,team. Writers who enjoy revising are often those who enjoy looking at convention and experimentation in _____

    Mush- mixture, batter. You can still learn a lot and _____ around on your own.

    Forgo-abstain, forbear. Many writers _____ the pleasures of writing for others because they are thin-skinned.

    Conglomerate- assorted, varied, combination. The first draft would be a _____of stuff...

    This article is written for students who want to be better writers and i feel that in some sentenses the author is talking to us the students for example "you are all ready a reviser, you all ready like revisions"(1) Another good example would be "as you come to value revision, you will find an almost infinite array of tools at your disposal".(2)

    I have always thought that revision was just correcting grammar and moving a sentense or two around but as i read this article i became aware of so many things that are important to know for example "but revision offers writers many things beyond more praise or a better grade a deeper sharper understanding of the subject, a satysfying sense that ideas come across in the best possible way".(2)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jennifer Resendez
    Dr. Chalaire
    ENG 1301.18
    Date: 2-23-10

    Terms of Wardle

    In the portion of a book written by
    Elizabeth Wardle there were quite a few words
    that I did not know. I suppose it is because
    this book is not meant for some like me. I am a
    student (or I guess you could say an FYC,
    (First-year composition) and this are meant for
    other teachers and people with a higher level of education. The first word that I had come
    across while I was reading that I was unsure of the meaning is “Epistemological”(766),
    which means a branch of philosophy that investigates the origin, nature, methods, and
    limits of human knowledge. The second word is “Purport”(766) meaning purpose;
    intention and object. In the reading the author uses this word to explain how FYC writing is supposed to prepare students for writing in other courses. Then next word I came
    across that I did not know is “Resonate”(766) which means to correspond closely or
    harmoniously and not far from this word is “Discourse”(766) that means a formal
    discussion of a subject in speech or writing, as a dissertation, treaties, sermon, and so on.
    Wardle is trying to make a point about the way other professionals think in reference to
    FYC and writing genres by giving an example of the way that his audience has had to
    write formally and how disciplined the writing in their writing like “dissertations, treaties
    and sermons” as opposed to the way FYC are taught to write.
    As I kept reading on I came to another word that I did not know which is
    “Cohorts”(767) and I found out through research that it means, a group of persons
    sharing a particular statistical or demographic characteristic. Wardle points out that all teachers even the ones who are specialized in writing have problems teaching students to write in a particular way and then Wardle goes on to explain his reason for writing this book. All I had to do is keep reading and a few lines down the page popped up another word that I did not know. And that word is “Exigencies”(767) which is the plural form as exigency meaning a case or situation that demands prompt action or remedy; an
    emergency. In the reading from this word I got that Wardle is trying to explain that it is
    not easy to teach such genres because they are complex. She implies that you could see
    this from the recurring situations and it is shown through evidence of group behaviors.
    And in the beginning of the next paragraph I found the “Instantiate” (which I have herd
    before but never took the time to look up the meaning) which is to provide an instance of
    or concrete evidence in support of a theory, concept, claim, or the like. Wardle continues
    to explain to us that even though we are being taught the genres we, as students, are only
    being taught the basics. This is not enough in Wardle’s eyes because genres are complex
    and continue to change. I believe that Wardle is trying persuade other professionals in his
    field that the students should be taught more in reference to writing genres that would be
    able to help out in other courses that students take.

    ReplyDelete