The templates used in the book they say/I say are there for you to use as a launching pad for your writing. The authors are using the templates in order to gain access into a conversation. The important template is : they say/I say. The book argues that just don’t state your claim, also be open to listening to others and respond or compare ideas. Then later taking the ideas you have shared and transfer them as your own. Arguemantive writing must be linguistic state a thesis and provide sufficient evidence to back you up in case an opposition must arise. The templates are just a stepping stone, setup to engage in an intellectual conversation. Relate to your audience and don’t get off topic. You don’t have to choose whether to agree to avoid an argument they say/ I say template works both ways. The book recommends agreeing and disagreeing at the same time, I think it works are as a sort of weaseler, and it presents a more complicated argument. This template lets you cover a lot of ground. The templates don’t dictate the content of what one says, it suggest a way of formatting how you say it. The templates are a learning tool.
Cameron Miller Dr. Chalaire English1301.20 February 9, 2010 They say/I say Quiz 1 1. Graff and Birkenstein list just a few different templates in this section of the book. For instance, of course some object ____. Although I concede that ___, I still maintain that ____. In this book, they are not trying to write someone else’s work for them. They are trying to inspire them or help make switch to show them how to make a better argument. With each template they show a perfect example of they say/ I say. Even in their book, they practice what they preach. During the introduction the have a section of how the templates help and what they do and another section of what the templates do not do. In this they are trying to get across to students or any less experienced writer that to make for a great paper state both side of the argument in your work. Putting questions or concerns that “they” will have and answering these questions and concerns. These templates are very helpful and in some cases hold more weight than the original version. 2. In the introduction of “Eating like an Owl” on page vii, Bishop states “If you’re a rebel at heart and don’t like anyone telling you how to write, that’s fine. You can still learn a lot and mush around on your own. Or you can try again, new, with each draft, or not revise at all. However, if you adopt this last stance, you risk not being read.” Also, Wardle ,at the top of page 785, gives examples of each side of the argument. If the students need to be taught how to write or about writing.
Christian Morin Dr. Chalaire English 1301.20 February 11, 2010 They say/I say Quiz 1
1.Templates are the way to teach writing, Graff and Birkenstein list different types of templates you can use on your writing. Templates are use as a form of writing to gain different types of conversations. This book tries to help you become a better writer. The main template they talk about is they say/I say, which tells you that you should not only state what you think, but also what others think and say.
2.In the content Bishop states that sometimes you don't need to agree on what other people thought's are, it says that if you don't like people to tell you what to write and you like your own thought that's fine. Wardle also gives us examples of arguments and all the different examples that students can do in order to have a different view about writing.
1.The templates discussed in "They Say/ I Say" are just simple ways to start off on a good track when voicing not only your ideas but others. It gives several examples on good ways to compare and contrast and makes it that much easier to get your point across. Not only does it show you how to agree/disagree, but how to do both and the right way to do so.Thus, not making only a better arguement, but a better paper.
2. In Wardle's article she states ," In the university, those genres arise from specific work done in disciplinary classrooms-that is, lab reports arise from and are shaped by the need to record lab work and share results. In FYC, however teachers are asked to teach students about and prepare them for the genres of other disciplines..."(p.767) She's trying to get the point across on how the work being done isn't neccesary if it involves other disciplines.
Michael Villarreal Dr. Chalaire Eng. 1301.20 2/15/10 They Say/I Say Quiz
1. In They Say/I Say, Graff and Birkenstein refer to templates as "key rhetorical moves" that help students accept and write their ideas down rather than aiming towards passivity. By using templates, it gives the students a way to question or comment on a conversation, thus bringing their voice in for them to say, well I say, and the full conversation of an argument begins.
2. In the article by Elizabeth Wardle, there are many types of examples for this exercise. One, well actually there are quite a few, can be like, "Aviva Freedman ARGUES THAT only scribal and mechanical skills can be called "general"."(766) and another one like, "Joseph Petraglia POINTS OUT, THESE skills DO NOT alone constitute writing, rather writing is instrumental, transactional, and rhetorical."(766)
Cynthia E. Martinez Dr. Chalaire English 1301.20 February 15, 2010
They Say, I Say Quiz.
1. In the book “They Say, I Say” by Graff and Birkenstein, make reference to “key rhetorical moves” or templates. These templates are the way of teaching writing, or just some simple ways to start off on a good track. The authors mention the different types of templates that you can use when you are writing. By using these templates students can comment or question in different types of conversations. One of the mains templates is called “They Say, I Say” and it means that you should not only state what you think, but also what other people think and said.
2. One example where we could find templates is in one article written by Elizabeth Wardle. In this article, Wardle give us examples of urging and all the different illustrations that students can do in sort of having a different sight about writing. Also, she gives examples of each side of the argument; if the students need to be taught how to write or about writing. Bishop also states that you don’t have to agree all the time on what other people thought. This author says that there is no problem if you don’t like people to tell you what you write and you like your own thought.
Quintin Garza III Dr. Chalaire Eng. 1301.20 12/16/10 They Say/I Say Quiz
1. The templates utilized by Graff and Birkenstein in "They Say/I Say" are used as tools for the novice writer to engage in intellectual arguments. It is not required for someone to initiate an argument. However, the writer should take into consideration what can be used as an argument in order to be more interactive in his/her writing. This is an excellent way to prepare the students for the type of writing universities will ask of them. These templates are not meant to create a standard form of writing. Instead, they are made to open the floor for students to interact with their audience and have more room to generate ideas.
2. Having the ability to recognize certain forms of writing is a hard one to acquire, and becomes just a little easier as one practices. It is not safe to say that I have mastered it. Having said that, the most similar passage in style to Emily Poe's I found was in Elizabeth Wardle's article pg. 769. It is the second paragraph where she states what some in her field have done to gain expertise. Later, Wardle later goes on to state what certain individuals think a novice writer should acquire in order to gain certain skills over time. Finally, she ends her paragraph by stating her idea and says "however, students need help gaining that local knowledge"(Wardle, 769).
Ana Karen Pineda Dr. Chalaire ENG 1301.18 February 15, 2010 "They Say/I Say" Quiz 1
“The Purpose” There’s many methods to teach a writer how to write. In the book “They say/ I say” writers Birkstein and Graff explain that the templates are one of the methods in how to coach a writer how to write. Templates are used as a designed form to make up a series of communications from different writers. Birkstein and Graff’s argument in this book is basically for incoming writers to write more than what is expected from them. Not only to write down their man ideas and views, but to also focus on others selections and writings and write about that too. In the intro “Eat Like an Owl” Bishop mentions that it’s ok if some writers do not agree completely on other writers writing and point of views, but its better if one writer opens up to different selections and writes more about other aspects. In Wardle’s case, she argues that incoming writers should have more methods and more sights on how to write; for them to be able to express more than just words in a paper, but a more broad open view of writing.
Haydee Tovar Dr. Chalaire Eng. 1301.20 12/16/10 They Say/I Say Quiz
1. In the book "They say/ I say" Birkenstein and Graff give you different examples of templates you can use to become a better writer. As quoted in the book "Perhaps the most distinctive feature of this book is its presentation of many such templates, designed to help you successfully enter no only the world of academic thinking and writing, but also the wider worlds of civic discourse and work(pg.2)." They are not making you use these templates but they do mention its an easier way of stating your own ideas as well as others. By using these templates you are making it easier for you to answer, comment, or question a conversation. It also gives you the chance to agree or disagree with the conversation. The templates will help you be more open with your ideas as well as others.
2.In "Eat like an Owl" Bishop mentions how writers don't have to agree with each others work but its good to have different point of views to get better. As quoted, "Writers and those who work with writers need to learn from play and risk by studying mistakes in order to incorporate new skills(pg.vii)." In Wardle she mentions how there are different ways people can write and not just the FYC way, "I suggest we should no longer ask FYC to teach students to write in the university and instead construct FYC to teach students about writing in the university(pg.767)."
1. Graff and birkenstein have developed and found ways to make writing a simpler task for beginning academic writing. They have gathered literaly a list of templates that can allow you to get your information across and have it formatted to an academic standard. These templates allow you to write for all kinds of situations, just find the right template.
2. I found this argument to have several moves that prove a point. "Many disciplines incorporate observations into written texts- for example, scientists report on their experiments and social workers describe their home visits. However, the observations outside of FYC are typically written for an audience other than the writer, to accomplish a purpose other than helping the writer gain isolated skills. Even lab reports written for a class are not written so that the student can learn the material under consideration and demonstrate their knowledge to the instructor; the lab report is the vehicle- the tool- not the object."(Pg.6 of Wardle article)
Maria Rangel Dr. Chalaire English 1301.20 2/23/2010 They say/I say quiz 1
1. In the book "They say/ I say" Birkenstein and Graff give you different examples of templates you can use to become a better writer. They mainly focus on the template They say/ I say. This template is kind of like an argumentive style. You would have to focus on what they say first. Then, you would focus on what you say. This template is designed to help you better understand what it is that you're reading. That way, when it's time to write you would had fully understood the article and had your own bias to it. 2. In "Eat like an Owl" Bishop mentions many types of writing styles. She points out how many authors write their books, articles... and she describes how revising is important. She explains in one of the styles, that if you don't like being revised, more than likely you are not going to get read. Revising is important, but you can add your own style of writing to it.
Jennifer Resendez Dr. Chalaire ENG 1301.18 Date: 2-5-10 1. Templates In the section of the book “They Say, I Say” by Graff and Birkenstein I read the preface and the introduction. While reading this section I became familiar with the term templates. I have to admit that I did not know what they meant by that, but while I read I soon realized I know what it was and I had known all along I just did not know the term used for it. In this book Graff and Birkenstein are trying to argue that it is better for students if they have a template to work with. And what I mean by that is that a template, which is a structured set of words that gets you started with your writing. For example, In discussions of ___________, a controversial issue is whether ___________. While some argue that _________, others contend that __________. (XI), or This is not to say that __________. (XI). These could be used for students to guide them in the direction that the teacher would like them to write in reference to their readings. In my opinion there are good and bad things about using templates. The good thing is that it will help students get start, because sometimes it is hard to know where to start. I know I sometimes have a hard time getting started with writing papers. Also using templates would help the student write in the right direction that the teacher wants the paper to be written in. The only bad thing about using templates is for the teacher, which is that when they read the papers it could get a bit boring if the student does not really elaborate. Another bad thing about using templates is that if you are a writer who likes to use your own ideas then using templates could be a little too structured for you. For me I would not like to use templates because I like to use my own ideas and have my paper be a one of a kind. 2. Exercise on Page 13 In the “Eat like an Owl” introduction of Bishop’s book here are the to paragraphs I chose to use. The words for the exercise are italized and bolded. In general, authors in this collection will be considering revision as the practice of making meaningful changes in texts at the word, sentence, paragraph, and full text level by adding, deleting, substituting, and rethinking their work entirely. As editors, they are concerned with assuring the text has consistency and, at times, that is conforms to “house stsyle”; the requirements of a class or publisher. As proofreaders, they check to make sure their revisions and their editing has been completed carefully and that no typographical errors mar their best presentation of their texts and thinking. Obviously, these terms can and should be defined by all writers for the contexts in which they are working. (VI) If you’re a rebel at heart and don’t like anyone telling you how to write, that’s fine. You can still learn a lot and mush around on your own. Or you can try again, new, with each draft, or not revise at all. However, if you adopt this last stance, you risk not being read. Agatha Christie exspresses the problem more elegantly: “If you like to write for yourself only, that is a different matter – you can make it any length, and write it in any way you wish; but then you will probably have to be content with the pleasure alone of having written it.” In fact, you need others to revise wisely. You need to share your work with supportive readers (peers, friends, family) on the road to learning to share with more demanding critics. You need to learn to forgive yourself and play and to become your own most demanding reader; that is, you need to know which role is most appropriate for which moment. Many writers forgo the pleasure of writing for others because they are thin-skinned. Often, they fail to understand that response to their writing is just that; response. Like and owl, they can eat what they want, use what they need, and discard the rest. Owls do this naturally; writers learn from practice.
Armando Maldonado Dr. Chalaire English1301.20 March 10, 2010 They say/ I say Quiz #1 #1. The template that they use lets them and/or us get access to the conversation to any type of oral or written topic using the templates like introducing for what “they say”, introducing “standard views”, making what “they say” something you say, introducing something implied or assumed, introducing an ongoing debate, and keep what “they say” in view. Seeing this helped me somewhat understand how to get in the conversation without thinking to hard, but they only thing I don’t understand is how to do it orally in front of other people. I figure that it will sound different in paper then in person. #2. Bishop states that you don't have to agree with anyone and your a rebel at heart and that is okay, but you have to be open minded to understand what other peers have to say. Wardle states that we should have more aspect on writing and in its methods.
JoAnn Granados Dr. Mary A. Chalaire Eng. 1301.20 February 9, 2010
1.) One example which I found was similar to that of Emily Poe was in the article “Mutt Genres” by Emily Wardle page 768 the second paragraph. In this particular paragraph she states the importance of teaching FYC about genres, but also points out that basing the teaching methods on specific genres we are limiting the students learning. She explains that by “simply teaching the institutionalized features of a genre to students also ignores the complex reasons why that genre evolved into what it is “ she goes on to state that genres will continue to change based on whether they are effective. She feels that genres are difficult to teach, but also states the importance of them and where they evolve from. Wardle points out in this paragraph that others prefer to focus on specific genres and why, but she also states her opinion on this matter and why. 2.) Templates were basically designed to demonstrate proper writing skills, by introducing you to certain phrases in which can be used, while at the same time leaving spaces blank so that you may express your own ideas in depth. Graff and Birkenstien introduce their audience to a variety of templates which will improve their writing skills. In They Say/I Say the purpose of these templates are so that the reader can learn to respond to others thoughts and ideas properly in essays. According to Graff and Birkestein by following these templates it allows you to identify the topic in which is being discussed or debated, distinguish what is being said and by whom, as well as emphasize on and express your own thoughts and ideas on the argument. The books main emphasis is the “they say _________, I say _________” formula which allows you to state your argument while at the same time taking in to consideration the thoughts and ideas of others, whether you agree or disagree with what is being said. These templates are simply devices in which can be used to enhance your writing skills. Each writer is entitled to their own preference of writing techniques these templates are available for writers, writers are in no way obligated to use them however, I personally do find them beneficial.
The templates used in the book they say/I say are there for you to use as a launching pad for your writing. The authors are using the templates in order to gain access into a conversation. The important template is : they say/I say. The book argues that just don’t state your claim, also be open to listening to others and respond or compare ideas. Then later taking the ideas you have shared and transfer them as your own. Arguemantive writing must be linguistic state a thesis and provide sufficient evidence to back you up in case an opposition must arise. The templates are just a stepping stone, setup to engage in an intellectual conversation. Relate to your audience and don’t get off topic. You don’t have to choose whether to agree to avoid an argument they say/ I say template works both ways. The book recommends agreeing and disagreeing at the same time, I think it works are as a sort of weaseler, and it presents a more complicated argument. This template lets you cover a lot of ground.
ReplyDeleteThe templates don’t dictate the content of what one says, it suggest a way of formatting how you say it. The templates are a learning tool.
Cameron Miller
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
English1301.20
February 9, 2010
They say/I say Quiz 1
1. Graff and Birkenstein list just a few different templates in this section of the book. For instance, of course some object ____. Although I concede that ___, I still maintain that ____. In this book, they are not trying to write someone else’s work for them. They are trying to inspire them or help make switch to show them how to make a better argument. With each template they show a perfect example of they say/ I say. Even in their book, they practice what they preach. During the introduction the have a section of how the templates help and what they do and another section of what the templates do not do. In this they are trying to get across to students or any less experienced writer that to make for a great paper state both side of the argument in your work. Putting questions or concerns that “they” will have and answering these questions and concerns. These templates are very helpful and in some cases hold more weight than the original version.
2. In the introduction of “Eating like an Owl” on page vii, Bishop states “If you’re a rebel at heart and don’t like anyone telling you how to write, that’s fine. You can still learn a lot and mush around on your own. Or you can try again, new, with each draft, or not revise at all. However, if you adopt this last stance, you risk not being read.” Also, Wardle ,at the top of page 785, gives examples of each side of the argument. If the students need to be taught how to write or about writing.
Christian Morin
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
English 1301.20
February 11, 2010
They say/I say Quiz 1
1.Templates are the way to teach writing, Graff and Birkenstein list different types of templates you can use on your writing. Templates are use as a form of writing to gain different types of conversations. This book tries to help you become a better writer. The main template they talk about is they say/I say, which tells you that you should not only state what you think, but also what others think and say.
2.In the content Bishop states that sometimes you don't need to agree on what other people thought's are, it says that if you don't like people to tell you what to write and you like your own thought that's fine. Wardle also gives us examples of arguments and all the different examples that students can do in order to have a different view about writing.
1.The templates discussed in "They Say/ I Say" are just simple ways to start off on a good track when voicing not only your ideas but others. It gives several examples on good ways to compare and contrast and makes it that much easier to get your point across. Not only does it show you how to agree/disagree, but how to do both and the right way to do so.Thus, not making only a better arguement, but a better paper.
ReplyDelete2. In Wardle's article she states ," In the university, those genres arise from specific work done in disciplinary classrooms-that is, lab reports arise from and are shaped by the need to record lab work and share results. In FYC, however teachers are asked to teach students about and prepare them for the genres of other disciplines..."(p.767) She's trying to get the point across on how the work being done isn't neccesary if it involves other disciplines.
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteMichael Villarreal
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
Eng. 1301.20
2/15/10
They Say/I Say Quiz
1. In They Say/I Say, Graff and Birkenstein refer to templates as "key rhetorical moves" that help students accept and write their ideas down rather than aiming towards passivity. By using templates, it gives the students a way to question or comment on a conversation, thus bringing their voice in for them to say, well I say, and the full conversation of an argument begins.
2. In the article by Elizabeth Wardle, there are many types of examples for this exercise. One, well actually there are quite a few, can be like, "Aviva Freedman ARGUES THAT only scribal and mechanical skills can be called "general"."(766) and another one like, "Joseph Petraglia POINTS OUT, THESE skills DO NOT alone constitute writing, rather writing is instrumental, transactional, and rhetorical."(766)
Cynthia E. Martinez
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
English 1301.20
February 15, 2010
They Say, I Say Quiz.
1. In the book “They Say, I Say” by Graff and Birkenstein, make reference to “key rhetorical moves” or templates. These templates are the way of teaching writing, or just some simple ways to start off on a good track. The authors mention the different types of templates that you can use when you are writing. By using these templates students can comment or question in different types of conversations. One of the mains templates is called “They Say, I Say” and it means that you should not only state what you think, but also what other people think and said.
2. One example where we could find templates is in one article written by Elizabeth Wardle. In this article, Wardle give us examples of urging and all the different illustrations that students can do in sort of having a different sight about writing. Also, she gives examples of each side of the argument; if the students need to be taught how to write or about writing. Bishop also states that you don’t have to agree all the time on what other people thought. This author says that there is no problem if you don’t like people to tell you what you write and you like your own thought.
Quintin Garza III
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
Eng. 1301.20
12/16/10
They Say/I Say Quiz
1. The templates utilized by Graff and Birkenstein in "They Say/I Say" are used as tools for the novice writer to engage in intellectual arguments. It is not required for someone to initiate an argument. However, the writer should take into consideration what can be used as an argument in order to be more interactive in his/her writing. This is an excellent way to prepare the students for the type of writing universities will ask of them. These templates are not meant to create a standard form of writing. Instead, they are made to open the floor for students to interact with their audience and have more room to generate ideas.
2. Having the ability to recognize certain forms of writing is a hard one to acquire, and becomes just a little easier as one practices. It is not safe to say that I have mastered it. Having said that, the most similar passage in style to Emily Poe's I found was in Elizabeth Wardle's article pg. 769. It is the second paragraph where she states what some in her field have done to gain expertise. Later, Wardle later goes on to state what certain individuals think a novice writer should acquire in order to gain certain skills over time. Finally, she ends her paragraph by stating her idea and says "however, students need help gaining that local knowledge"(Wardle, 769).
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAna Karen Pineda
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
ENG 1301.18
February 15, 2010
"They Say/I Say" Quiz 1
“The Purpose”
There’s many methods to teach a writer how to write. In the book “They say/ I say” writers Birkstein and Graff explain that the templates are one of the methods in how to coach a writer how to write. Templates are used as a designed form to make up a series of communications from different writers. Birkstein and Graff’s argument in this book is basically for incoming writers to write more than what is expected from them. Not only to write down their man ideas and views, but to also focus on others selections and writings and write about that too.
In the intro “Eat Like an Owl” Bishop mentions that it’s ok if some writers do not agree completely on other writers writing and point of views, but its better if one writer opens up to different selections and writes more about other aspects. In Wardle’s case, she argues that incoming writers should have more methods and more sights on how to write; for them to be able to express more than just words in a paper, but a more broad open view of writing.
Haydee Tovar
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
Eng. 1301.20
12/16/10
They Say/I Say Quiz
1. In the book "They say/ I say" Birkenstein and Graff give you different examples of templates you can use to become a better writer. As quoted in the book "Perhaps the most distinctive feature of this book is its presentation of many such templates, designed to help you successfully enter no only the world of academic thinking and writing, but also the wider worlds of civic discourse and work(pg.2)." They are not making you use these templates but they do mention its an easier way of stating your own ideas as well as others. By using these templates you are making it easier for you to answer, comment, or question a conversation. It also gives you the chance to agree or disagree with the conversation. The templates will help you be more open with your ideas as well as others.
2.In "Eat like an Owl" Bishop mentions how writers don't have to agree with each others work but its good to have different point of views to get better. As quoted, "Writers and those who work with writers need to learn from play and risk by studying mistakes in order to incorporate new skills(pg.vii)." In Wardle she mentions how there are different ways people can write and not just the FYC way, "I suggest we should no longer ask FYC to teach students to write in the university and instead construct FYC to teach students about writing in the university(pg.767)."
1. Graff and birkenstein have developed and found ways to make writing a simpler task for beginning academic writing. They have gathered literaly a list of templates that can allow you to get your information across and have it formatted to an academic standard. These templates allow you to write for all kinds of situations, just find the right template.
ReplyDelete2. I found this argument to have several moves that prove a point. "Many disciplines incorporate observations into written texts- for example, scientists report on their experiments and social workers describe their home visits. However, the observations outside of FYC are typically written for an audience other than the writer, to accomplish a purpose other than helping the writer gain isolated skills. Even lab reports written for a class are not written so that the student can learn the material under consideration and demonstrate their knowledge to the instructor; the lab report is the vehicle- the tool- not the object."(Pg.6 of Wardle article)
Maria Rangel
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
English 1301.20
2/23/2010
They say/I say quiz 1
1. In the book "They say/ I say" Birkenstein and Graff give you different examples of templates you can use to become a better writer. They mainly focus on the template They say/ I say. This template is kind of like an argumentive style. You would have to focus on what they say first. Then, you would focus on what you say. This template is designed to help you better understand what it is that you're reading. That way, when it's time to write you would had fully understood the article and had your own bias to it.
2. In "Eat like an Owl" Bishop mentions many types of writing styles. She points out how many authors write their books, articles... and she describes how revising is important. She explains in one of the styles, that if you don't like being revised, more than likely you are not going to get read. Revising is important, but you can add your own style of writing to it.
Jennifer Resendez
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
ENG 1301.18
Date: 2-5-10
1. Templates
In the section of the book “They Say, I Say” by Graff and Birkenstein I read the preface and the introduction. While reading this section I became familiar with the term templates. I have to admit that I did not know what they meant by that, but while I read I soon realized I know what it was and I had known all along I just did not know the term used for it.
In this book Graff and Birkenstein are trying to argue that it is better for students if they have a template to work with. And what I mean by that is that a template, which is a structured set of words that gets you started with your writing. For example, In discussions of ___________, a controversial issue is whether ___________. While some argue that _________, others contend that __________. (XI), or This is not to say that __________. (XI). These could be used for students to guide them in the direction that the teacher would like them to write in reference to their readings.
In my opinion there are good and bad things about using templates. The good thing is that it will help students get start, because sometimes it is hard to know where to start. I know I sometimes have a hard time getting started with writing papers. Also using templates would help the student write in the right direction that the teacher wants the paper to be written in. The only bad thing about using templates is for the teacher, which is that when they read the papers it could get a bit boring if the student does not really elaborate. Another bad thing about using templates is that if you are a writer who likes to use your own ideas then using templates could be a little too structured for you. For me I would not like to use templates because I like to use my own ideas and have my paper be a one of a kind.
2. Exercise on Page 13
In the “Eat like an Owl” introduction of Bishop’s book here are the to paragraphs I chose to use. The words for the exercise are italized and bolded.
In general, authors in this collection will be considering revision as the practice of making meaningful changes in texts at the word, sentence, paragraph, and full text level by adding, deleting, substituting, and rethinking their work entirely. As editors, they are concerned with assuring the text has consistency and, at times, that is conforms to “house stsyle”; the requirements of a class or publisher. As proofreaders, they check to make sure their revisions and their editing has been completed carefully and that no typographical errors mar their best presentation of their texts and thinking. Obviously, these terms can and should be defined by all writers for the contexts in which they are working. (VI)
If you’re a rebel at heart and don’t like anyone telling you how to write, that’s fine. You can still learn a lot and mush around on your own. Or you can try again, new, with each draft, or not revise at all. However, if you adopt this last stance, you risk not being read. Agatha Christie exspresses the problem more elegantly: “If you like to write for yourself only, that is a different matter – you can make it any length, and write it in any way you wish; but then you will probably have to be content with the pleasure alone of having written it.” In fact, you need others to revise wisely. You need to share your work with supportive readers (peers, friends, family) on the road to learning to share with more demanding critics. You need to learn to forgive yourself and play and to become your own most demanding reader; that is, you need to know which role is most appropriate for which moment. Many writers forgo the pleasure of writing for others because they are thin-skinned. Often, they fail to understand that response to their writing is just that; response. Like and owl, they can eat what they want, use what they need, and discard the rest. Owls do this naturally; writers learn from practice.
Armando Maldonado
ReplyDeleteDr. Chalaire
English1301.20
March 10, 2010
They say/ I say Quiz #1
#1. The template that they use lets them and/or us get access to the conversation to any type of oral or written topic using the templates like introducing for what “they say”, introducing “standard views”, making what “they say” something you say, introducing something implied or assumed, introducing an ongoing debate, and keep what “they say” in view. Seeing this helped me somewhat understand how to get in the conversation without thinking to hard, but they only thing I don’t understand is how to do it orally in front of other people. I figure that it will sound different in paper then in person.
#2. Bishop states that you don't have to agree with anyone and your a rebel at heart and that is okay, but you have to be open minded to understand what other peers have to say. Wardle states that we should have more aspect on writing and in its methods.
JoAnn Granados
ReplyDeleteDr. Mary A. Chalaire
Eng. 1301.20
February 9, 2010
1.) One example which I found was similar to that of Emily Poe was in the article “Mutt Genres” by Emily Wardle page 768 the second paragraph. In this particular paragraph she states the importance of teaching FYC about genres, but also points out that basing the teaching methods on specific genres we are limiting the students learning. She explains that by “simply teaching the institutionalized features of a genre to students also ignores the complex reasons why that genre evolved into what it is “ she goes on to state that genres will continue to change based on whether they are effective. She feels that genres are difficult to teach, but also states the importance of them and where they evolve from. Wardle points out in this paragraph that others prefer to focus on specific genres and why, but she also states her opinion on this matter and why.
2.) Templates were basically designed to demonstrate proper writing skills, by introducing you to certain phrases in which can be used, while at the same time leaving spaces blank so that you may express your own ideas in depth. Graff and Birkenstien introduce their audience to a variety of templates which will improve their writing skills. In They Say/I Say the purpose of these templates are so that the reader can learn to respond to others thoughts and ideas properly in essays. According to Graff and Birkestein by following these templates it allows you to identify the topic in which is being discussed or debated, distinguish what is being said and by whom, as well as emphasize on and express your own thoughts and ideas on the argument. The books main emphasis is the “they say _________, I say _________” formula which allows you to state your argument while at the same time taking in to consideration the thoughts and ideas of others, whether you agree or disagree with what is being said. These templates are simply devices in which can be used to enhance your writing skills. Each writer is entitled to their own preference of writing techniques these templates are available for writers, writers are in no way obligated to use them however, I personally do find them beneficial.