Friday, February 5, 2010

Group Q&R to "Eat Like an Owl"

Claire Munoz, Jerika Saenz, Roel Rodriguez
2/2/10

In the introduction you can automatically tell its intention was to address students of all grade levels and also developing writers everywhere; this is shown in the statement “Revision isn’t just for school writers or for creative writers” (viii). Wendy Bishop also provides examples of other writers, and the different styles we as individuals choose to pursue. The purpose of her argument is to inform writers that revising is of much significance, and to understand mistakes we as writers make can help incorporate new skills. The importance of revision is made clear when she compares writers to owls, being that “they eat what they want, use what they need, and discard the rest” (vii).

Writers of every style and preference seem to show similarities in developing ideas. Usually the route that is taken to completely withdraw ideas from the writer to paper is to simply write any idea down, and make it as coherent as possible. However, a work made as coherent as possible by a writer, may still reveal flaws unto the reader. Some concepts may not be made understandable to another person; this is why it is important to appropriately adapt our communication to other people through writing. The adaption of our communication through writing to others is effective through acts of revision. Do you think Wendy Bishop’s argument towards revising proves the idea, in order to be a competent writer you have to be able to revise, and accept criticism from peers?

3 comments:

  1. In the "Acts of Revision" Bishop talks about there being different types of writers with different styles. I think that it is good that there are so many different writing styles. If there were not then what we read would be boring. So because of the different styles of writing then when we read we get different readings and understandings of what is being read. Also we get flavor and everyone likes flavor, no one wants to eat bland food and no one wants to read bland writing.
    While I was reading this section I was thinking about what kind of writer I am. I think that I may be "somewhere in between" (vi) all of the other writers. I also know what kind of writer I am not which is one who is a "single drafter" (vi). I can write and rewrite many times because each time I read what I write I find either what I wrote before does not match (because I like to just write and write and revise later), or soemtimes I missed something or think of something else that could go in to the writing. One problem I have though is that I write a lot and do not knwo what to cut because my mentality is that my audience does not know what I am writing about and they need all the information I am writing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marlon Duran
    Amanda Vera
    Cynthia Martinez
    Dr. Mary Chalaire
    ENG 1301.20
    Acts of Revision Q & R
    What’s better, to analyze and revise one’s wrings, eating like an owl, or being a rebel and writing whatever comes into one’s head, without revising one’s writings or giving them a second thought? On the one hand, writers can learn and grow from their mistakes, improving their craft as a writer, but on the other hand, writers can gain great personal independence and freedom from the critiques of other Being a rebellious writer that tries to stand on his or her own can have some benefits. “If you’re a rebel at heart and don’t like anyone telling you how to write… You can still learn a lot and mush around on your own. Or you can try again, new with each draft, or not revise at all. (Vii, 3) Being a lone writer can build a lot of self confidence and still help a writer learn and develop however, the benefits and rewards are much more limited.
    Writing with revisions and especially the revisions of fellow peers, can have a much more beneficial effect than writing alone “If you like to write for yourself only…. You can make it any length, and write it in any way you wish; but then you will probably have to be content with the pleasure alone of having written it. “(vii, 3) Writing without revision or peer reviews is writing for only one self. You will never be able to share your writings with other people and you won’t be able to learn and improve as quickly or easily, from their ideas and perspectives.
    Writing for one’s self is not as beneficial to the writer as writing for others and letting them revise and critique the work, this helps improve the writer’s talents and quality of wring. “Like an owl, they can eat what they want, use what they need, and discard the rest. Owls do this naturally; writers learn from practice.” (vii, 3)

    ReplyDelete
  3. JoAnn Granados
    Dr. Mary A. Chalaire
    English 1301.20
    As a matter of fact I do feel that Wendy Bishop is correct in stating the importance of revision, as well as the importance of how we as writers handle the feedback we are given on our writing. It’s important to be able to take constructive criticism well, how else will we be able to know what errors we’re making? As a writer it’s difficult to catch our own mistakes even if we personally go over our work and revise it. Acts of Revision focuses on the ways for us to change the way we as writers look at revision, it helps us understand its purpose and just how useful it can be to writers. Bishop agrees with some of the views that Peter Elbow has, which is “Eat Like an Owl” meaning that as writers we should write down everything that we think might be of importance to our paper and when revising go back and get rid of what may not be useful. This was not a style of writing that I was familiar with prior to this class, but I understand the purpose of eating like an owl, it makes sense to write down everything we might need and get rid of what we don’t. Bishop seems to inform her audience of several different things that they may not be familiar with, and although I understand their importance and how they can be useful to me as a writer it’s difficult to adjust to using these new ideas. According to this article I consider myself a rebel, not necessarily because I don’t like being told how to write but because I was unaware of these methods that I could use. With that being said though, how can students who have never used such methods and that have just been introduced to these methods be expected to adjust to them and use them correctly in the span of one semester?

    ReplyDelete