"In this article, I focus on the potential for student scholars to obtain authorship and authority through participation in undergraduate research, a potentially democratic learning site in which students write themselves into disciplinary conversation and challenge faculty/scholar-constructed representations of them."(2-3). This is great motivation for me to be interested in what Grobman is saying. Knowing that she wants to help others get published and become somebody shows an interest in helping people. This design allows the student to get a taste of the work it takes to gain"authorship and authority." This is exactly what needs to be done, students showing scholar's that they are not the only one's who can write profoundly. This is an opportunity for students to gain representation showing that students can write like scholar's and not be one. Classes that put students in higher levels of application is a great experience that would even greater a person's writing. Grobman talks about giving students what they deserve, specifically to give these students an opportunity to show what they can write, and if succeeding, gain "Authorship and Authority".
Grobman is saying that student scholars have to show responsibility or authorship in composition. Authority within their peers, Like peer-tutor scholars who author themselves into writing center scholarship authorize themselves but, at the same time, reinforce the institutional authority that writing center practioner-scholars. Grobman means that these tutors are able to be peer tutors because they have authorized themselves authority when writing. In other words they have been to the Promised Land and back to teach the way. I get what Grobman is trying to say but it is difficult for me to apply. It might work for someone pursing a English major but not me. For example this undergraduate research would be a great launching pad for a student traveling this pathway. It would give them the insights and details of how to handle question to come. In this article, Grobman focuses for potential student scholars to obtain authorship and authority through participation in undergraduate research. In 1984 Toby W. Malbec, a peer tutor at the University of Vermont, addressed fellow tutors, providing suggestions on how tutors can use open-ended interview questions to help tutees understand their writing and possible revisions. Over the next two decades at least fifty undergraduates published with faculty as co- or multi- authors in the discipline’s scholarly journals and edited collections. This is proof that undergraduate and graduate research works and is a success.
Cameron Miller Dr. Chailaire English 1301.20 Q & R Grobman While in the reading of this article, several things came to me as I was reading. The loudest voice of all was all of the quotes she had in it. At first I liked it. It kind of gave me a background on it like the history of what she was saying. But the deeper I got into it the more I felt I was getting lost in all the quotes. It seemed like to me in every other one they were saying the opposite of the last. So for a while there I did not really know what she thought on the subject or what she was trying to say. If I did not know better and just read her article I would have thought it was an introduction to a book, the way she put so many different authors and quotes in it. I was reminded of Bishop the whole time. I would like to think if those two teamed up and wrote an introduction it would probably be the best one ever written. Finally at the end I think I understood what she was trying to say the whole time. I think she was saying that the power of the work is in the writer if the writer does not think it will be good it will not be good. And at the very end she mentions bringing in beginner writers on the continuum where advanced writers live in order to re-create the community. I think that’s like the president going to the local high school to ask the class president for advice. I believe they are not there yet because they are not ready for it. They do not have all the things to offer that the more experienced writers bring forth. Why is she worried about changing the community if she has not noticed everything changes with time. There is not a single thing that has not changed since the day it was made. Yes, I know it’s because people got together to change it, but writing is not like that writing changes over a long period of time. I mean look back in history and notice all the era’s and period’s that were huge at the time and not here now. Each one of those symbolize the time and things that were taking place. Unless that is what she was trying to sat that we are falling behind and not changing like we should. Then I might agree with her a little but I would still need to find out for myself before I just blindly believed her.
"In this article, I focus on the potential for student scholars to obtain authorship and authority through participation in undergraduate research, a potentially democratic learning site in which students write themselves into disciplinary conversation and challenge faculty/scholar-constructed representations of them."(2-3). This is great motivation for me to be interested in what Grobman is saying. Knowing that she wants to help others get published and become somebody shows an interest in helping people. This design allows the student to get a taste of the work it takes to gain"authorship and authority." This is exactly what needs to be done, students showing scholar's that they are not the only one's who can write profoundly. This is an opportunity for students to gain representation showing that students can write like scholar's and not be one. Classes that put students in higher levels of application is a great experience that would even greater a person's writing. Grobman talks about giving students what they deserve, specifically to give these students an opportunity to show what they can write, and if succeeding, gain "Authorship and Authority".
ReplyDeleteGrobman is saying that student scholars have to show responsibility or authorship in composition. Authority within their peers, Like peer-tutor scholars who author themselves into writing center scholarship authorize themselves but, at the same time, reinforce the institutional authority that writing center practioner-scholars. Grobman means that these tutors are able to be peer tutors because they have authorized themselves authority when writing. In other words they have been to the Promised Land and back to teach the way. I get what Grobman is trying to say but it is difficult for me to apply. It might work for someone pursing a English major but not me. For example this undergraduate research would be a great launching pad for a student traveling this pathway. It would give them the insights and details of how to handle question to come. In this article, Grobman focuses for potential student scholars to obtain authorship and authority through participation in undergraduate research. In 1984 Toby W. Malbec, a peer tutor at the University of Vermont, addressed
ReplyDeletefellow tutors, providing suggestions on how tutors can use open-ended interview
questions to help tutees understand their writing and possible revisions. Over the next two decades at least fifty undergraduates published with faculty as co- or multi- authors in the discipline’s scholarly journals and edited collections. This is proof that undergraduate and graduate research works and is a success.
Cameron Miller
ReplyDeleteDr. Chailaire
English 1301.20
Q & R Grobman
While in the reading of this article, several things came to me as I was reading. The loudest voice of all was all of the quotes she had in it. At first I liked it. It kind of gave me a background on it like the history of what she was saying. But the deeper I got into it the more I felt I was getting lost in all the quotes. It seemed like to me in every other one they were saying the opposite of the last. So for a while there I did not really know what she thought on the subject or what she was trying to say. If I did not know better and just read her article I would have thought it was an introduction to a book, the way she put so many different authors and quotes in it. I was reminded of Bishop the whole time. I would like to think if those two teamed up and wrote an introduction it would probably be the best one ever written.
Finally at the end I think I understood what she was trying to say the whole time. I think she was saying that the power of the work is in the writer if the writer does not think it will be good it will not be good. And at the very end she mentions bringing in beginner writers on the continuum where advanced writers live in order to re-create the community. I think that’s like the president going to the local high school to ask the class president for advice. I believe they are not there yet because they are not ready for it. They do not have all the things to offer that the more experienced writers bring forth. Why is she worried about changing the community if she has not noticed everything changes with time. There is not a single thing that has not changed since the day it was made. Yes, I know it’s because people got together to change it, but writing is not like that writing changes over a long period of time. I mean look back in history and notice all the era’s and period’s that were huge at the time and not here now. Each one of those symbolize the time and things that were taking place. Unless that is what she was trying to sat that we are falling behind and not changing like we should. Then I might agree with her a little but I would still need to find out for myself before I just blindly believed her.